Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

[ Home | Upstate Underground Forums | DJ Database | Links | Events | Contact ]

All Forums
 Electronic Music Genres
 Drum 'n' Bass
 Top 20 dnb tunes of 2004 (DNB Arena poll)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

Dom P
UUnet Addict

230 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  2:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dom P's Homepage  Send Dom P an AOL message  Reply with Quote
1- Another Planet - Pendulum (Breakbeat Kaos)
2- Racing Green - High Contrast (Hospital Records)
3- Drop It Down - Calibre (Signature Records)
4- Masochist - Pendulum (Breakbeat Kaos)
5- Buffalo Soldier feat Stevie Hyper D - Child Support (Dance Concept Recs)
6- Together - Logistics (Hospital Records)
7- Mr Majestik - Calibre & High Contrast (Signature Records)
8- True Romance - Bad Company UK (Metalheadz Platinum)
9- Odyssey - Drumsound & Simon Bassline Smith (Prototype)
10- Bacteria (Pendulum Remix) - Ed Rush & Optical (Virus Recordings)
11- Twilights Last Gleaming - High Contrast (Hospital Records)
12- Follow Da Vision - Krust (Full Cycle Records)
13- Ra - Ebony Dubsters (Ebony Dubs)
14- Your Mine - Potential Bad Boy (Ganja Records)
15- Pack of Wolves - Nightbreed (Ram Records)
16- Out Of Breath feat Rahzel - Roni Size (V Recordings)
17- Tomb Raider - Fresh (DogsOnAcid Records)
18- Mr Maverick - Calibre (Signature Records)
19- Dreadlock - Future Prophecies (Breakbeat Kaos)
20- Submarines (Pendulum Remix) - Fresh (Breakbeat Kaos)

Do you think that this top 20 in proper for 2004?

swishertight
UUnet Noob

22 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  4:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, most of these tunes i dont rate very much, its just that these were the most popular of the year.
Go to Top of Page

Asrael
UUnet Guru

1257 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  5:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Asrael's Homepage  Send Asrael an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As far as popularity goes, I'd say the list is pretty accurate.

As far as quality goes... nope.

Go to Top of Page

swishertight
UUnet Noob

22 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  6:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that dreadlock tune, but never bought the album because that was the only one i liked from it.
Im not a very big fan of pendulum, i know they are supposed to be the best producers nowadays, but their stuff sounds to all over the place for me , if you know what i mean. the only tune i liked was that " spiral" tune they did.
other than that i kinda like the high contrast tunes, and i play drop it down alot, "together" is a nice tune as well, but its probably because i play alot of liquid nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

Asrael
UUnet Guru

1257 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  7:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Asrael's Homepage  Send Asrael an AOL message  Reply with Quote
True Romance, Odyssey, Twilights, Racing Green, Drop it Down, and Masochist are the ones from this list that I like.

I like to flip to Spiral... Ulterior Motive I think it's called.
Go to Top of Page

swishertight
UUnet Noob

22 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  8:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heres my list.in no paticular order.
1.Cold fusion/vendetta- son of ugly
2.logistics- space jam ep (kaleidascope)
3.Craggz and parrell forces-thunder soul
4.calibre- think again
5.majistrate and nicol-yankee doodle
6.high contrast-st.ives (flip to racing green)
7.q project-living with beaker
8.eddy woo-keep it real
9.cyantific-reincarnation dub
10.commix- youll see /trojan
11.sonic-retrothruster
12.sonic-4 manchester
13.matrix and fierce-all night long remix
14.high contrast -made it last night (flip to twighlights)
15.future prohecies-dreadlock
16.fresh- all that jazz (not out yet)
17.total science-voices (not out yet)
18.fiction-auroa (2003 i think??)
19.metalheadz -no smoke without fire l.p (spellbound)
20.simonbassline smith -crossfire
these tunes are always playing on my decks, apart from the ones that arent released yet.if anyones heard "voices" by total science they know this tune need a release.
Go to Top of Page

Scruff McGruff
UUnet Buddha

255 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  9:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scruff McGruff's Homepage  Send Scruff McGruff an AOL message  Send Scruff McGruff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, I'm not into many of those tunes at all. Back to You and Spiral are the only Pendulum tunes that I rate. Other than that I'm not into liquid much at all so....
Go to Top of Page

Our Sound
UUnet Guru

1280 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  1:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Our Sound's Homepage  Send Our Sound an AOL message  Reply with Quote
not the finest year for drum and bass.
but what can you do?
wish there was more good atmospheric out there...2004 was NOT a good year for deep mature ambience.

...definately not any particular order...

01. Mav and Twista . The Tubes . Offshore Recordings
02. Black Rain . All Tomorrows Food . Scale Records
03. Spirit . All I Need . Inneractive
04. Seba . Piemo For B . Paradox Records
05. Equinox . Sixth Spirit . Inperspective Records
06. Paradox . Our Future Is Extinction . Paradox Records
07. Seba . Guidelines EP . Subtitles
08. Break . Locked On . Explicit Records
09. Amit . Gatecrasher . Metalheadz
10. Ezekiel Hoenig . Love Session (Graphic RMX) . Microcosm
11. Sileni . Twichy Droid Leg . Offshore Records
12. PBK . Nightfall . Warm Communications
13. Omni Trio and Deep Blue . Station to Station . Good Looking Records
14. ASC . Black Steel . MakeShift Records
15. Mykra . Sun II . Fokuz
16. Alpha Omega . Catburgular VIP . Offshore Records
17. Psidream . Secret Life . Ohm Resistance
18. Equinox . Black Rain (original '96 cut) . Inperspective Records
19. Omni Trio . Rogue Satellite . Scale Recordings
20. True Romance . D-Bridge . Metalheadz
Go to Top of Page

plume
network_junglist

5695 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  09:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swishertight

I love that dreadlock tune, but never bought the album because that was the only one i liked from it.
Im not a very big fan of pendulum, i know they are supposed to be the best producers nowadays, but their stuff sounds to all over the place for me , if you know what i mean. the only tune i liked was that " spiral" tune they did.
other than that i kinda like the high contrast tunes, and i play drop it down alot, "together" is a nice tune as well, but its probably because i play alot of liquid nowadays.

Pendulum was my biggest dissapointment of the year. I copped Still Grey and that was the last good tune of theirs that I liked at all. I agree their sound is over the top and just not smooth or subtle at all.

I used to play a lot of liquid but I tired of that last summer. If I want to hear house music, I'll listen to house music. ;)

Now I'm very limited with my d'n'b genres - the only innovation I've heard is in the drum funk / deeper cuts, and *some* neurofunk tunes. Lately I've been focusing on the harder stuff but it all comes in different waves for me. I'll post a list later...

all in all 2004 killed it over '03 imo.
Go to Top of Page

kritikal
UUnet Addict

124 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  12:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit kritikal's Homepage  Send kritikal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I definately agree w/Plume about the liquidfunk deal....I used to specifically play it, it was sort of my "niche", but it just never moved the crowd when I played out. I don't mind it, but I like to play for the people, and most people who listen to dnb can't get enough of the amen smashers

Everything Calibre released IMO has been spot on...his stuff is more on the liquid tip but he still knows how to bang out a sick bassline. Out here in boston the "dubstep" sound is huge and this is what I've been getting into lately: stuff on Bassbin, Juju's recent EP, Soul:R, etc. I also liked alot of the tracks that came out on DSCI4, Barcode, Violence, and Explicit this past year. But in all honestly I agree that quality was few and far in between.

The big talent though I honestly think is coming right here from the states! I think Gridlok, Noisia, and Mayhem are stateside and they all dropped killer tracks last year. Ewun from the ROC has also been putting together some SICK tracks which are coming out on Barcode right now. Yes there are a lot of good tracks coming out of the UK but with all these sick producers emerging from different countries, it's easy to tell that dnb is now a worldwide movement.
Go to Top of Page

Scruff McGruff
UUnet Buddha

255 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  10:57:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scruff McGruff's Homepage  Send Scruff McGruff an AOL message  Send Scruff McGruff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
the only innovation I've heard is in the drum funk / deeper cuts

I think there HAS been innovation in other genres. In hard drum n bass the Evol Intent sound was a breath of fresh air, but I think a buncha people hopped on that train. It is allready becoming a little played out to me. there is only so many tunes with distorted bassdrums and vocals with short loop points that can be done before it loses its edge. But the evol boys are dope producers so I'm sure they won't let us down.
quote:
I think Gridlok, Noisia, and Mayhem are stateside

Actually I think Noisia is from the Netherlands.
Go to Top of Page

Asrael
UUnet Guru

1257 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  1:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Asrael's Homepage  Send Asrael an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I only really dig a few Evol tunes. And yes, I do think there has been plenty of stuff similar to theirs that has come out that sounds almost exactly the same as the next tune. I'm really digging some dark drumfunk and atmospheric type dnb... stuff that gives off that eerie feeling that something isn't quite right. Neurofunk has been good to me lately. Liquid has gotten a bit boring with me lately, although I'm still finding the odd track here and there that will move me.

Anyhow, looking forward to Ewun's releases as I've heard nothing but positives about his stuff. '05... keep it coming!
Go to Top of Page

kritikal
UUnet Addict

124 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  1:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit kritikal's Homepage  Send kritikal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Liquid is good in moderation...I think the "thrill" of it has waned a bit since the sound isn't as fresh as it was 2-3 years ago but guys like Commix, Logistics, Calibre, and Mathematics are so consistent with the quality of their releases that it's difficult for me to just get up and walk away from it.
Go to Top of Page

Our Sound
UUnet Guru

1280 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  4:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Our Sound's Homepage  Send Our Sound an AOL message  Reply with Quote
in my opinion, innovative material has almost always dealt with fresh spacial arrangement, and the way absence of sound can convey a particular emotion. Its not impossible, but the harder, more driving sound is a more difficult vehicle in which various emotions can be displayed.
Go to Top of Page

plume
network_junglist

5695 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  11:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think there HAS been innovation in other genres. In hard drum n bass the Evol Intent sound was a breath of fresh air, but I think a buncha people hopped on that train.

The only tunes of theirs that I'm familiar with is Corrupt Cops, and 7 Angels...
I'm not a fan of that kind of d'n'b. I can see why people like them, pure raw emotion comes from their music but I prefer tracks like the Breakage rmx of Acid Rain myself if I want to hear a good and hard version of an amen.

quote:

It is allready becoming a little played out to me. there is only so many tunes with distorted bassdrums and vocals with short loop points that can be done before it loses its edge. But the evol boys are dope producers so I'm sure they won't let us down.

god for me it lost it's edge four years ago. I have my guilty pleasures from time to time but usually I can't get into tunes with that formula. I give the Evol boys credit, they know what they're doing and are incredibly popular, but I'd be surprised if they ever put out a tune that I would buy.

quote:

Actually I think Noisia is from the Netherlands.

I like Noisia.

Go to Top of Page

plume
network_junglist

5695 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  11:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Our Sound

in my opinion, innovative material has almost always dealt with fresh spacial arrangement, and the way absence of sound can convey a particular emotion. Its not impossible, but the harder, more driving sound is a more difficult vehicle in which various emotions can be displayed.

So would you agree that most d'n'b lacks subtlety? It's something I look for in any tune I buy no matter the genre, and it's something that I feel is lacking in most popular d'n'b tunes.
Go to Top of Page

plume
network_junglist

5695 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  11:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asrael

I'm really digging some dark drumfunk and atmospheric type dnb... stuff that gives off that eerie feeling that something isn't quite right.

I love that! fanu does a wonderful job at that I think.
Go to Top of Page

plume
network_junglist

5695 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  12:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
upon further review, I have been sleeping throughout '04 so...

how about a list a favs from the past three years?:

amit - myth
seba - inside your mind
deep blue - soho code
fanu - defunct drums...
sileni - twitchy droid leg
seba + lenk - pieces
pieter k - mirror
seba - in the sun / make my way home
equinox - acid rain (breakage rmx)
sinthetix - switchblade sisters
c4c - moongerm
BSE - stasis
seba + lenk - captain freak
fanu - siren song
sinthetix - cryogenic
pendulum - still grey
dkay - quiet earth
oS - panama
oS - 808
pieter k - proof
k - 7th avenue

something for everyone.

Go to Top of Page

kritikal
UUnet Addict

124 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  11:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit kritikal's Homepage  Send kritikal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah the new fanu plate on subtitles is real good....has some of the best cover art I've seen on a dnb record as well
Go to Top of Page

plume
network_junglist

5695 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  12:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kritikal

yeah the new fanu plate on subtitles is real good....has some of the best cover art I've seen on a dnb record as well

damn, I just got the promo. I'd consider also buying the full release though, that tune is nice.
Go to Top of Page

Our Sound
UUnet Guru

1280 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  2:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Our Sound's Homepage  Send Our Sound an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plume

oS - panama
oS - 808

i am blushing, see --->

www.cymbalismrecordings.com
www.counterintelligence.nl
www.subtleaudiorecordings.com
www.offshore-recordings.com
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic